Twenty-One Hours in Kiruna

10:11

"Final call for boarding to Kiruna." 

"All passengers for a flight to Kiruna, please proceed to Gate 31"

Amidst all the hustle, we finally boarded the plane, taxied and flew into Kiruna. The cold but sunny weather greeted us, welcoming us with warm hands to the icy state. The temperature was at negative nineteen-degrees at the time but some locals said that it was a warm winter for them.

Kiruna is best known as the northernmost town of Sweden, situated in the province of Lapland. Also, Kiruna is 145 kilometres north of the Arctic Circle. I have been in Kiruna five years ago and I've expected that there will be more changes but it wasn't. It was still the same idyllic town that I went to in the past.



Before going to Kiruna, I have been in contact with Malinn, the owner of our guesthouse. She is a friendly, delightful young woman and we quickly became buddies. As we arrived in Kirunarum Och Vandrarhem near the city centre, Malinn was already waiting for us and we found maps and brochures were laid out in front of the counter, ready to be taken away.

We were also welcomed with a message in local Nordic language that was made by Malinn herself. Next, she showed us our place for the night : it was quite a spectacular apartment with an incredible view.


This is my second time visiting Kiruna, and yet I have found myself again completely lost in the unfamiliar, feeling like I have entered a new city. Snow had completely blanketed the city, making it looked like a winter wonderland. Quite a few restaurants have been relocated, walkways redirected, a new tall hotel near the tourist information centre. It is like watching Legos constructed, expanding as more people are welcomed by the city. 

Our group ventured out into the Kiruna Town Hall, fifteen-minute walk from our apartment. I navigated our little group based on my five-year old memory and remembering that the place is located opposite to Kiruna Bus Station. People were not out on the street : it was almost five in the evening and the sky was getting darker. Just an ordinary day in Kiruna, but an extraordinary sight for those who unaccustomed to the surrounding. I was almost unable to fixed my sight on a single point. There was so much to see, each of us were able to captured our moments and to take a different story from a single place.


Next, we went to the main church in the city. The church was huge, yet magnificent because of the detailed engraving on the wall. It was hypnotizing to stare out across the small hill and watch Kiruna city come to life at night. 



On the first night in our Arctic adventure at Kiruna, I found myself closing my brown orbs, half expecting to still be on my comfortable bed in Cairo. Upon opening them again, I was reassured that this experience was indeed real, and this was just the beginning. 





You Might Also Like

0 comments