Aurora Borealis : Mission Accomplished

18:51

It was a very windy night. Lil and I had just gone back to the room after we descended from Aurora Sky Station, disappointed because the clouds were very thick and we only saw plenty of faint Aurora.


I was on my way to the kitchen with my laptop to arrange my trip to Ukraine when Lil and Dinie suddenly proposed to hunt the Northern Lights on the same night. It was almost two in the morning and since I was wide awake, I agreed.

Together, with some of Dinie's buddies, we embarked to hunt the Aurora. Praying that the Northern Lights will reveal herself beautifully tonight, we went over by the lake under the hill of STF Abisko Turiststation. Headlamps and torch lights in hands, we marched together in the dark, while withstanding -29 degrees temperatures.

Oh Aurora, the things that we just did for you.

"I hope that we get to see the Aurora again."

It's nearly an hour went by when the sky became clear and we clearly saw the Northern Lights. 

"Hey look! It's the Aurora!"

"That's bloody fantastic! Beautiful!"

Along the way are hours of beautiful nothingness and awe-inspiring Northern Lights. There is really nothing out there except for this truly remarkable scenery of the Northern Lights while we were standing on the frozen lake.


The quiet was immersive and almost unbearable. I stood still, admiring the nature beauty and the shining stars. 

"I didn't know suffering to get here was part of our vacation." Sofe suddenly chimed in, her teeth were chattering, her body was shaking while the wind continued to blew.

I couldn't help but smile at my friends as they were busy pointing to the sky, clearly immersed in excitement of a chance seeing the Aurora, their words fell on deaf ears.


"Thank you for taking us here, Nash."

I turned around and smiled. "No problem. At least, I've got another chance to repeat the adventure. It was fun, doing this with you guys."

Dinie laughed, nodding while setting up his camera to shoot the Northern Lights. Lil came over, helping Dinie to set everything up for our photo session.

Till we meet again, Aurora Borealis. It was a real pleasure meeting you.

You Might Also Like

0 comments