Favourite City of All Time : Kuala Lumpur

02:43

I look around as I drive by the magnificent city. I see how a city can be both futuristic and exotic. The urban texture of Kuala Lumpur is designed in a way that unites nature and the people reside in it rather than separating them. It's always one of the main reason as why I love KL apart from the city is the capital of my motherland, Malaysia.

Walking in the shade of the skyscrapers that dominate most of the city, I realise that even these tall buildings doesn't bother me - I find peace in their tranquil glory. I familiarize my senses with the hectic surroundings, welcoming any feeling that greeted me. It felt kinda surreal - coming home after such a long time. 

Kuala Lumpur is also famous for the harmonious coexistence of the Malay, Chinese and Indian populations. I am proud to be one of them eventhough I no longer live in Malaysia. I am proud to tell my foreign friends and family that I am Malaysian, no matter where I am. 


I parked my little purple car near to KLCC's LRT station. I decided to take the LRT to see lots of things in Kuala Lumpur because of the little time that I had. Ethan would love to be here, he always told me in his annoyingly excited voice back in New York - he undoubtedly wanted to go to Malaysia and eat lots of amazing delicacies and experienced the wonderful harmony between the people in Southeast Asia and their unique lifestyles. 

Ethan is weird in his own style. Whatever.

I went for a walk in Chinatown, I smell the scent of incense from the Tao temple nearby. Some chanting immediately echoed in the air, I saw many tourists going in and out of the temple. I made a stop near a small stall, ordering Ice Tea in this hot weather. 

"Very hot today, eh dik?" 

I smiled. "Yes. But I just strolled around, uncle."

The old Indian uncle chuckled while making 'Teh Tarik' for another customer. Who in their right mind to order Teh Tarik under the scorching sun, I wonder.

When the humid and suffocating air starts overwhelming me, I went to another tourist spot, the beautiful Lake Garden, comprising Bird Park, Orchid Garden and Butterfly Park. With more than hundreds species of mesmerizing colours flying around, the park allow the visitors to experience a majestic forest atmosphere in the heart of the city. 

"It's almost seven. I should find something to eat."

I leave behind the realm of birds and sit at one of the best restaurant that is really known for its naan cheese with a friend. 

     
One of the best aspects of coming back home is tasting different cuisines which are abundant due to Kuala Lumpur's cultural and ethnic diversity. I ate various delicacies from Indian, Malay and Chinese cuisines for an affordable prices.

Normally in Malaysia, there are food kiosks or restaurants managed by Indian Muslims, called 'Mamak Shop' by the locals - visitors definitely should try their genuine dishes. Located at almost every corner, Mamak's speciality is Roti Canai (a type of Indian flatbread) which coincidentally is my all-time favourite.

I remember mornings and nights spent overseas when I was craving for Roti Canai so much that I drove for hundred of miles from Los Angeles to San Francisco because apparently I had no patience and hunger for Roti Canai clouded my mind immediately. The restaurant was closed in LA during that night so I dragged late Kak Rose and Ethan to go to San Francisco.

I was way crazy back then.

Same thing happened in Toronto but neah, not gonna write it here. Maybe next time though.

So yeah, Roti Canai is definitely Malaysian's favourite.

The next morning, I spent my day with my siblings in Gombak. My little brother was excited to hike Tabur Hill (West Side) but I was keen to go to Putrajaya to do some rock climbing. After the vote (yes, we voted), the three of us drove from Shah Alam to Gombak in the early morning. 

"We came back to Malaysia for this, eh?"

"Live a little, sis. Hiking is fun, you should do it more often." Ariff chimed in while driving.

The trail was quite extreme and I was complaining, a lot. My body isn't fit like it used to be but the view was completely breathtaking. We took three hours to reach the top because we made stops in every ten minutes. Poor guy, haha.


"Maybe we should hike a hill with an easier trail, then." My little brother commented on his older sisters inability to hike as fast as he can. 

"How about you shut up and gimme the water?"

Ariff and Ika exchanged their sly smiles.

"Yeah, if there is a next time."

As I pack my bag, I think that Kuala Lumpur is one of those cities where the beauty is in the details. I'm gonna miss the people, the cultures, the foods and definitely some of my family and friends.

It's so good catching up. Until the next time, KL.



You Might Also Like

0 comments