Because I Miss You

10:00

Today is a weird day. 


I woke up a few times during the day because I slept after five am. I woke up after a certain familiar face came up in my weird vivid dream- Kak Rose, you gave me quite a scare.

I remembered that I was in her living room, sipping hot black coffee in the middle of the summer night while she kept reviewing our roadtrip plan across the USA. The rustling of the papers seems so real and her voice sounds like a big sister coaxing her little sister to sit down and pay some damn attention to the things that she say.

But I could tell that this was just a flashback memories that I had since her death. 

I know. This was just a piece of my memories of her.

The scene changed and I am now behind the wheels, driving in the dark highway- I had no idea where we were. I looked around and saw Kak Rose was asleep, at least I think she was. Her breath evens out, syncing with the slow classical music that she had me listen for hours just because she said "Classical music is good for you, trust me."

Well, guess what, I really feel that it does not.

I saw a few cars on the opposite side of the road, lights flashing out battling the surrounding darkness. Kak Rose abruptly woke up and gave her eyes few rubs before her raspy voice asks where we were.

I shrugged, "I don't know. But the GPS said that we are almost in Arizona."

I saw her head bobbled up and down before she went back to sleep.

And just like that, the scene changed again.

A still silence lay over the land. A pair of black birds flew overhead, exchanging chatters in their foreign tongue. Kak Rose and I cooked and ate dinner by the car, basking in solitude.

We saw two minibuses a few hundred metre in front of us, they were building campfires and singing around as they ate and having fun. 

"This is fun too, no?"

I chuckled. "Yes sis, this is fun. Eating a pack of hot cup of Maggi in the car on summer night is very appealing."

Kak Rose made faces. "We are having more fun this time around. Before, you were travelling around by your own but you've got me this time. That ought to say something."

We were in Antelope Canyon for a day before continuing to other canyon. 

But then, I woke up.

I laid on the carpeted floor with a pillow in my hand. My body hurts but my mind was reeling- the dream had been surreal. My orbs were looking around before it settled on the balcony in front.

It was ten in the morning and the African summer heat greeted me with morning wind. 

I am back, right?

"Happy Independence Day, Malaysia." I read the messages on my Whatsapp chats and on Twitter and Facebook. And the clock turns 10.01 in the morning.

I saw Jue was watching The Big Bang Theory, sipping hot coffee no doubt while laughing at something that Sheldon said.

Yes, I definitely am back in the reality. The feeling that lingers deep in my heart will always be there and I want you to know that you're always gonna be in my prayers.

See you again, R.








You Might Also Like

0 comments