Restless in Tromso

16:20

I was wide awake by seven in the morning, looking at my friends who were getting ready for their own activities. I was left alone in the cabin, doing my own thing. It was probably after a long journey from Narvik to Tromso by bus and I had to sit uncomfortably at the front row or better yet, an excitement of waking up at once again a familiar land in the Arctic Circle. 

It was snowing quite heavily outside.

Perfect. I don't need any sleep anymore.

Fired up my blue Asus, I took out my notebook and jotted down details about my trip to Ukraine. Also, I was waiting for Lil and Dinie to finish with their activities. 



When I got to meet with Lil and Dinie again, I told them that I wanted to go to the Polaria because I didn't get to see the place thoroughly when I was in Tromso a while ago. They were curious and eager to see with me. Completely beautiful view and surrounded by the nature and the sea. Without an exact address, we ventured towards the town at night, exploring what the city has to offer. We rode the bus onto the station nearest to Polaria and embarked. 

I was disappointed.

The Polaria was, well.. closed.

Damn it.



Continuing on foot to the centre of the city, we went back to the main bus station and decided to go to the tourist centre. I bought a postcard and sent it home to a close friend of mine (hope the postcard safely arrived) and got a new map of Tromso.

Only -2 outside and snowing, we hurried into a big church near the tourist centre. The church is really huge, the architecture was incredible. The wind was chilly but comforting against the warm comfort of my winter coat. Dinie and Lil were busy scouting the best area to take pictures as I wandered around.

It's at this point when you need to stop and focus on your surroundings. I was miles away from home, familiarity and comfort. I was in a different world up here.    



"Nash, the library is in this area, yes?"

I nodded towards Dinie. He wanted to get photos of the uniquely designed library here. 

Looking around, we saw the nook and cranny of the moderate-sized town. We couldn't help but laugh at what we were doing at the same time. Who else were gonna wander around at night by foot while it was snowing quite heavily?

That would be the three of us.


Although other travellers alike have been in this area years before my friends and I, but in that moment, we felt like we had stumbled upon a well-kept hidden treasure. I was in this part of the city a few years ago and I was here again, finding new spots to explore. During that tiny segment of my life, I felt incredible and happy, grinning from ear to ear. 



"I am glad that we get to experience our journey together."

Dinie and I just nodded with approval of Lil's words.

"Where to next?"

Dinie and Lil smiled. "Bergen."


You Might Also Like

0 comments