Giza Day Trip

12:46

In early August, my sister and I backpacked around Cairo for a few days. We set out on the adventure knowing that we only wanted to circumvent the city, finding the hidden paths and documented our magical journey.

From the moment that the plane touched down in Cairo Airport from Athens, my sister was hyped to explore the Pharaoh land that has been my home for the past five and half year. We've travelled together in some pretty interesting places before but Ika was practically jumped around when I told her that we're gonna visit the pyramids in Giza.


"That's my dream, big sis! I wanna visit the pyramids so bad."

"Ouh, I heard that we get to go inside the main pyramid. Is that true?"

I nodded slowly, slightly confused with her sudden over-the-moon excitement. Despite the fact that it was well past midnight and the warm weather didn't dissipate even our room was blessed with an air-conditioner, my sister was still hooked with her silver Acer on her lap, researching about Cairo and whatnot.

Hello, you've got the talking, walking map right here.

Right freaking here.

I guess she was too excited for her Cairo trip.

Once we're out to the streets in central Cairo the next day, we were greeted with African summer fifty-celcius degrees heat, the day was so freaking hot that I thought my skin would melt. We took metro from Abbasiyyah to Giza. 

There is no direct way to Ahram (pyramid). For solo travellers or people like us who love to wander around by ourselves, there is an easy way to get to the pyramids. Ride the tremco (small minivan) that will be going to Ahram for only 5 Egyptian Pounds.

Welcome to Giza Pyramids, everyone.



"Wow. The pyramids.. wow. They're incredible."

Hearing the words from Ika, I looked upon the icon that was famously known. I remembered the first time I was seeing eye to eye with the pyramids, it was on November 2010. 

I was an energetic nineteen-year old that was excited to visit the historic site with the rest of her classmates.

Yup. That's me.



"Are you satisfied now?" I asked my sister. The sun poured the heat right on top of our heads while we were riding the camels. I silently cursed the weather while talking with Ika, who by the way, didn't seem affected by the very hot weather.

"I can cross the pyramids off my bucket list, sis. Of course I'm satisfied."



"Do you know why I got overly excited for this?" Ika asked me from across her camel. I didn't need seconds to pondered over her obvious question.

"Easy. You love places like this."

She snorted- so unladylike. "I want to absorb the history written behind, sis. I want to feel the sands, the rocks, everything that made the pyramids to be everything that we see today."

Ika is always a passionate learner, her mind is keen towards subjects like history, languages, arts. She and I was complete opposite as I leaned towards the science fields. 


We ended the day with some sister-bonding over NOLA cupcakes and a trip to City Stars Mall. 

"I was thinking of going to Vietnam and Cambodia next year with Ariff (our brother)."

"Cool. I was thinking of going home. Maybe I will join you and Adik."

She nodded enthusiastically, agreeing with every word that I uttered. I smirked a little.

"By the way, I'll bring you to the old part of Cairo tomorrow. Think you up for it?"

"Cool."


You Might Also Like

0 comments