Assalamualaikum, Bahrain

10:27

"Welcome to Manama."

I read the massive words ahead as soon as I stepped out of Manama International Airport. The hot Middle East weather greeted me, welcoming me to the capital and largest city in Bahrain.

Three hours after departing Cairo, I finally arrived in the heart of Bahrain. I was quite eager and excited to to explore the town. With only two days time before I depart for Kuwait, I have to lead myself in this fascinating new place, wandering to tourists and locals favourite spots.


In the midst of planning my adventure, I decided to do some research on what to do in the city. The first place that I went to was Al Fateh Grand Mosque. The mosque was named after the conqueror of Bahrain, Ahmad Al Fateh. It is also located next to the King Faisal Highway in Juffair. 

"The mosque is the largest place of worship in Bahrain."

"It is one of the largest mosques in the world."

I paid some attention to the tour guide that guided my group. The beauty behind the detailed architecture of the Grand Mosque was truly mesmerizing. 

I strolled around the town by taxis. Next, I headed to Bahrain National Museum. The place was incredible, as it was declared as the largest and among the oldest public museums in Bahrain. The museum has some of the most fascinating collection of Bahrain's ancient archaeological artifacts and covers nearly five thousand years of Bahrain's history.

My sister would love to be here.

I went out to get some chai that I had accustomed to years ago. Chai was a popular choice for a drink and I opted to go for some donuts and melt-in-your-mouth local cookies.

As I sat, I thought of my motherland, wondering when I will be back there. The months kept passing by and here I was, enjoying a light meal in the middle of Manama instead of sitting in a plane bound for Kuala Lumpur.

"I dare you to go out and see the world on your own, my dear. Explore and broaden your perspective. Go."

I will do just that, dad.

Manama is a beautiful place, yet understated. I learnt about the city quite well, but I am sure there are always new corners and picturesque view to discover.


The city itself is the laid-back traveller's dream. Hours can be spent lazily meandering through Manama Souq. You can get lost in the dark-brown alleys, making your way to another, it almost seems countless. I am pretty sure that you would find yourself in a constant state of dizziness, spinning in to take in all of the spices and herbs on every corner of the streets at the Souq.

At the centre of Manama, there stood a 240-metre high twin tower complex, named Bahrain World Trade Centre. The towers was close to other popular landmarks such as the Bahrain Financial Harbour and NBB.

When I arrived, I was told, "You're gonna love Manama." After a short forty-eight hours seeing the city's fusion of colours, stunning architectures and histories for myself, I'm definitely gonna say the same sentence to anyone who wanted to go visit Manama. 


Goodbye, Manama. I will be seeing you again.

You Might Also Like

0 comments