Bienvenue a Paris

17:17

"How many hours from Dover to Calais, Mira?"

"Two hours, maybe. I don't quite remember."

That was amongst my first attempt of bringing friends to explore Europe after being a lone wolf for so long. I only brought my sibling and Kak Mira before on my journey, I didn't know well on how to react when Farah and Dheeno asked me to bring them to Paris. Before, it was Brussels, then Paris.

On February 1st, three of us travelled from Kent to Dover and finally to Calais. 



We met Rachel, a fellow traveller that was going to Amsterdam by bus. We spent few hours together while waiting for our buses to come. It was a very windy night by the sea, so freaking cold.

The clock struck at midnight, indicating a new day has begun. Almost an hour later, our bus to Paris came and to our surprise, we were the last to board because the bus kept collecting the passengers all the way from London. 

We settled in our seats, waving small hello to a German friend sitting beside me. Moments later, we went into a big ferry, headed for Calais, France.



I was lucky enough to visit Paris a handful of times, and immediately fell in love with the chocolates and croissants, the Disney store in Champs Elysee, and the thrill of being in a place where everyone magically spoke in entirely foreign language. And everyone loves the Disneyland. 

I was pretty sure that I had seen and experienced the best the city had to offer. 

Eiffel Tower? Obvious check.

The Lourve? Of course. Who hadn't.

Notre Dame de Paris? Moulin Rouge? Arc de Triomphe? Check, check and check.

But, as I discovered on my recent trip to the City of Light, there is so much more to the city than those mainstays of Paris tourism. This time around, I aimed with intention to staying off the boulevards and out of the parks, and finding places that visitors wasn't normally visited. 

Unfortunately we didn't have a luxury of time. I ended up brought them to typical tourist places. But we found hidden corners to explore, charming streets to wander around and also nooks and crannies from which you can see the world go by. 


It's around seven in the morning and a little chilly out. The weather was windy, a mild one. There's something quite remarkable about a city before it fully wakes, and Paris is no exception. Walking through the Lourve around the pyramids and throwing glances to Tuileries Garden, I'm reminded that in just a few hours, these places will be swamped with tourists, cameras firmly secured around their necks, some with children in tow, all full with the steely determination of people that wanted to make the most of the time in Paris.



Starting our day early on the banks of the river has left us full of energy and enthusiasm about exploring the city. We first went to a small little cafe alongside one of those quintessentially Paris parks complete with rows of trees and artfully placed benches, the cafe was a little wonder. 

My first impression of Paris, many years ago, was one of a complete urban centre. Stunning architectures and cobble stones found me craving a little of the mix in between. 

We headed to the Pont de Bir-Hakeim. Many would recognized that it's a beautiful walk towards the left bank with a remarkable view of Eiffel Tower. 


After a day adjusting to each other's quirks and desires : it was a fantastic trip. Farah, Dheeno and I enjoyed each other companies and we got to hang out in one of my favourite city. 


My friends once said, you can never really go wrong with Paris. Exquisite murals and excellent street art abound and sit comfortably in same neighbourhoods that house precious artworks. Colours can be found anywhere, the beauty is truly amazing.

"Maybe you can bring me to Germany next? You've been there a few times, right?" Farah asked me suddenly.

I turned around, nodded. "Of course. As soon as we're done here. Or maybe on the next summer break."

"Deal."


You Might Also Like

0 comments