A Malaysian in Morocco

19:09


I guided myself to slither by a throng of people coming in and out of the Marrakech Menara Airport. The torrid heat of the afternoon was not helping- I was sweating profusely and people kept on bumping into me without a bat of an eye. 

Great. Fifteen minutes in and Marrakech already treated me like this.

Setting out to meet someone in here has turned unexpectedly disappointing when the person was still in the home country and had something important came up. Meanwhile, I was already in Marrakech.

I kept repeating that this trip was not a waste.

Then, I decided that I would use this opportunity to enjoy what Morocco have to offer. How thrilled are you when you met a few of fellow travellers and have them laughed out loud at you for how you ended up in Morocco alone when you're supposedly have a company? 

I just left them and wandered the land by myself.

Excuse me, I was annoyed at the time.

I've been lucky as this was my second visit into this country so I wasn't completely hopeless to find my way around. Using my broken Arabic and sign language to get by, I had a wonderful time there. Sure, certain experiences elude me still, either by choice or circumstance.


  
Though some may perceive the city to be old-fashioned and slow-moving, Marrakech showcases a different side behind its wall- hip and contemporary with scrumptious foods, beautiful arts and culture, bustling cafes and a roaring nightlife.

The first thing that I noticed while in Marrakech- the cafes were always in ever-crowded, even the hidden ones. People buzzed with laughter everywhere I went and conversations goes on almost all day. Crowds constantly spilled out of cafes, theatres and even markets. I once need to satisfy my stomach at two in the morning and there will always be a few restaurants open and they are quite busy with customers. 


There is much diversity in Marrakech- from hipsters who sit at outdoor cafes Instagramming their lives, to young nerdy-looking with books by their sides and to older folks who have been in the city for many decades. The country is blessed with locals who were born there and others that made the city their second home.

An ancient breeding ground for scholars and artisans and even imams- Fez is a ultimate self-confident city with a historical and cultural lineage that bewitches visitors.

Fez can seem like it's in a state of perennial pandemonium- some travellers fall instantly in love and others recoiled in distasteful manners. The city offers seemingly blind alleys lead to squares with breath-taking fountain and streets hustling with aromatic food stands, rooftops unveil a sea of minarets. Stooped doorways revealed the workshops of tireless and talented artisans- the colours of the works were just mesmerising.


I woke up early as I rushed up in my hostel room in Fez to go for an adventure in the desert, eight hours away from the city. Once there, I took a tour along with a few excited travellers. To reach the area in just a few hours, a 4WD is needed. The sea of golden crescents hides small, semi-permanent camps in its troughs. I paid around 100 euros which included the jeep and the driver, meals and one night at a hotel in Erg Chebbi. 


As we approaching the famous Merzouga Desert, my mind wandered towards the desert that I experienced in Siwa and Dubai- they were all stood out in massive mass of sands out of nowhere. The dunes are best photographed at dawn or in late evening- when the piles of sand cast fascinating shadows on one another.

Morocco is a country for anyone fascinated by vigorous scenes of everyday life, unconcerned by noxious smells and constant interactions with strangers and adapting to all cultures and differences. 

After spending a day in Chefchaouen and another day in Tangier, it was time to head home. A few days in this historic country isn't enough to feel its pulse but I was grateful for every single moment I experienced- of profound sights, smells and sounds.

I'll be back, Morocco.




  

You Might Also Like

0 comments