Across Turkey Part One

07:45

Hello.

It's been almost a month since we celebrated New Year. It's already 2015, fellas. Can't believe time flies so fast. 

AND THIS IS MY NEW BLOG. I don't even have a slightest idea how I can't even open my old blog, as I logged into the same account as I did back then. But whatever it was, I will surely try to fix that up.

Last two months, I travelled to Turkey for the third time, with much limited time to focus on eastern region. Turkey is a country that you will want to visit for a countless time. Partly because of its uniquely rich culture and partly because of its own famously kind and welcoming locals. The country is a huge pot of cultures featuring mainly Arabs and European influences. Even when you're in Istanbul, the city was divided into Asia side and Europe side.

I only had one week in Turkey this time. I would spend a rather large amount on my own two feet as I normally backpacked from time to time, travelled on my own. On this particular journey, an old friend of mine whom I called Kak Mira will be joining me as she herself didn't get the chance to travel much as she spent almost a year studying in Istanbul. Our initial plans were packed, our schedules were tight and we were exhausted to cover all the places. 

My first impression of the country was as I flew in to Istanbul Atatürk Airport , two years ago from Cairo. The first thing that you noticed once you landed is the people were speaking in entirely different language. I myself is currently studying medicine in Egypt for five years now and I learned quite well of Arabic language. But the Turks were speaking in entirely foreign language to my ears. Greeted initially by rugged people and their vast arrival hall unto the strict immigration, the view changes quickly into the strikingly beautiful bustling city of Istanbul.




I spent my first night in Istanbul at Kak Mira's house, located near Taksim Square and easily accessible by metro and daily bus. But for the sake of nearly one and half year didn't see each other, we decided to walk home as we chatted through and through while I carried my 50L backpack. We arrived a little after midnight and Istanbul is actually a quite safe city to walk in the middle of the night and mind you, we were only two young girls alone. 

Turkish delight

Before we actually went home, we wandered around the streets looking for foods. Yes, I was exhausted as I flew all the way from Cairo after classes and I hadn't had proper meals for hours. The meals provided on the flight was not up to my taste as it was purely spicy, my throat burns. I ended up drank so much water and people would thought that I was drinking some unknown delicious water from the looks of it.

Immediately after dinner, we need to catch up with tramvay (tram in Turks) as the station will be closed a little after eleven pm. Lucky for us, the diner that we had dinner at was very closed to the nearby tramvay station. We stood in the light rain waited for the tram as Yusufpasa Station, headed to Aksaray Metro Station. But the routes were not even in the same line, so we had to crossed over the street to go to Aksaray. All in all, we got home safe and sound.

 Last but not least, us.

Next post will be up pretty soon, stay tuned.

See ya!

You Might Also Like

0 comments